Shopping in Madrid before Noche en Blancor
a
The girls before going to Café Sapey.Just a few random things about the culture shock here in Spain.
1. When walking down the street, people are not concerned about moving a little to one side or the other to make room. I find myself having to step out into the street or completely stopping and letting people pass. A little rude?
2. I've always heard about the strange day schedule here, but it is very true. Morning activities are from about 9:30am-1:30pm. All stores close and all windows shades are pulled shut between 1:45 and 2--it's siesta time! You could literally walk down the street in the downtown plaza at 2:30 and it is so quiet, you could hear a pin drop. It's almost eerie! Stores reopen around 5pm. People enjoy drinks and appetizers (tapas) around 7 or 8pm and then suppertime is between 9:30 and 11pm. Weeknights bedtime is usually around midnight, weekends people are literally out until 4, 5 or 6 in the morning.
3. Most people here dress exactly how we do in the states--anything from sweats to dresses. Some women go overboard with accessories, but it's not too noticeable.
4. All the cars are so little!!! I get pretty excited when I see a ford here and there :)
5. The Spanish accent consists of basically having a lisp. I'm trying very hard not to pick up on it.
6. PDA is out of control here. You cannot walk into the downtown plaza or around the park without seeing one or more couples passionately making out.
7. There's no peanut butter here, it's killing me!
8. I have yet to see a single house in this country. All apartment buildings.
9. Buying make up here is ridiculously expensive.
10. "Vale" is "okay" in Spanish, they say "vale" with almost every single sentence--kind of like Canadians saying "eh" after every sentence.
11. It is not uncommon for teachers to be late to teach their classes.
----I will add more as I remember them!

No comments:
Post a Comment