Wednesday, September 2, 2009

First Day

After approximately 15 hours of flying, not including layovers, I am finally here! Unfortunately, I sat by the only man on the 8 1/2 hr flight from Chicago to Copenhagen that decided he didn't want to sleep and kept his (very bright) light shining down on us from 11pm-5am. I only got about an hour of real sleep on that flight. But everything else went well, the flight from Copenhagen to Madrid was a mixture of people speaking Danish, Spanish and a few others that I could not identify.
My host family is very funny, kind and welcoming! They do not speak a word of English, so I have been fully submerged into all-Spanish-all-the-time already! I have already once made the mistake of not offering (dos besos!) two kisses on the cheek to my host mom's daughter, some of these traditions will take some getting used to. We live in a cute apartment just a block or two from my university. The view from my window not only shows part of this very old, beautiful city...but straight down are about 5 soccer fields that are constantly swarming with boys playing and practicing soccer. It is very hot here and the apartment does not have air conditioning. I have a large fan in my room that I will be sure is running every time I am home! Fortunately, making my bed is very easy to come by because it is only one light sheet and a pillow.
I get to head down to the university later today, (you know...after my afternoon siesta!), and meet up with the other students in my program. I am glad facebook and this blog are outlets for me to speak English!

Godspeed,
Lindsey

4 comments:

  1. I will take pictures soon, I promise! When she was showing me around the downtown today I felt rude if I was not listening to her descriptions of everything...and without my full concentration I would've no idea what she was saying lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha, it's ok i understand!! take pictures of your room and stuff to though. and your family!

    ReplyDelete